3.6.10

Alina Munoz

Alina Munoz is the co-founder of Culintro, a culinary trade organization based in New York City.

Interview by James Cope

JC: What first sparked your interest in the arts and what led you to launch Culintro?

AM: My interest in the arts has been an intersection of sorts. My love of architecture and design started with my mom and at one point meeting an attractive architect. My love of cuisine started with Gourmet magazine at one point meeting an attractive chef. My love of entrepreneurship started with my experience working in ad sales and at one point meeting an attractive (and brilliant) tech entrepreneur. See a pattern…let’s hope I never meet an attractive kleptomaniac.

JC: Attractiveness is important whether it be an object, art, food, shoes, men and women, its all aesthetics right?

AM: I whole-heartedly believe in attractiveness (inside and out, on the surface and below). My appreciation grows the more I gain knowledge about a certain thing, place, or person. However, too much knowledge sometimes leads to too much attraction which leads to intimidation. Sort of ironic.

JC: Tell me about Culintro?

AM: After working at Gourmet for several years, I met my business partner, Stephanie Kornblum, who was working in Restaurant PR. We realized that there was no centralized organization for connecting professionals in the restaurant industry. Whether you are a Restaurant architect, designer, chef, cook, waiter, contractor, owner-operator, student, micro-distiller, or even kumquat farmer, Culintro offers a place for you to network and find other professionals linked to the industry. We host monthly events on trend-setting topics such as “The Future of Food Journalism,” “How To Build an Effective Cocktail Program” and “Restaurant Design.” We act as a resource to find jobs, connect with people, and stay educated on the evolving world of restaurants.

JC: Your family resides in Texas, do you visit them often?

AM: Yes, my parents live in Dallas, TX. I visit them about 2-3 times per year, usually around the holidays and visit our lake house in Whitney, TX.

JC: What do you have planned next for Culintro?

AM: To create an all-encompassing Restaurant Awards event in NYC, like an Oscars for the restaurant world. We also plan to expand to the West Coast in the next 2-3 years.

JC: Expand to the West Coast?

AM: Yes we plan to open up an office out there and start throwing networking and educational events similar to what we do in NYC. We are actually getting peer-pressured by our California restaurants and friends (and sponsors!) to expand. So we are rather excited!

JC: One last question. What is your favorite dessert?

AM: Hmmm, you can never go wrong with anything dark and chocolatey. But, I remember having the most delicious dessert at Lupa in NYC. My sister and I split this tangy goat's milk yogurt that was as silky and fatty as panna cotta. And, it was topped with honey and a syrup that had been infused with all-spice, cinnamon, and cardamom. I think there were some nuts in there too. Anyway, it was really fantastic. I hope I didn't make it sound gross!

No comments: